Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Prioritizing Those Plot Bunnies

You're lying in bed, trying to sleep while your mind races. All those thoughts that you managed to shove into the back of your mind come rushing back to you when suddenly, one thought leads to another, and a new story idea forms.

The above scenario has happened to me so many times, and I know I'm not the only one who has had new plot ideas form this way. With so many plot bunnies floating around inside your mind, sometimes it's hard to focus on a specific story. It's especially hard when you do get new plot bunnies in the middle of the night. So how do you decide which one is actually worth the time or not?



If you really want to make sure your older projects are finished, what I've tended to do is write down the basics of my plot bunny and shove it away somewhere. Sometimes that doesn't work because the story still lingers in your mind, so then it comes down to thinking about each story you're writing and asking yourself specific questions:

Which story do I have inspiration for more?
Which story has more potential overall?
Which story am I more eager to write?
Which one do I know I can finish sooner?

And a question I've had to ask myself as I've been trying to find my own peace of mind:

Which story is going to help me get through my life and help me release all my tensions?

I pose that question because writing is a healing process when you do it right. Yes, your story may be fictional, but that doesn't mean what you write isn't important to you, or won't be important to others. Sometimes writing can really save someone and if the story will help you, then write it.

Never be afraid to write about what's important to you.

1 comment:

  1. Plot bunnies...they're a curse and a gift. For me, it's usually the former seeing as 99% of them are for fanfiction and not my actual novel. *groans*

    What I do is I write down, like, a few random sentences that may or may not have anything to do with the plot bunny, or maybe part of the prologue, then I abandon it for months and then find it as I'm cleaning up my jump drives. Warning: DO NOT DO WHAT I DO! I learned the hard way. It's a waste of sweet time and sweet gigabytes. This method's a lot better.

    ReplyDelete